There are quite a few reasons why this must be spam and scam because:
1. Yahoo Inc. Never and will never use email such as email@example.com or yahoomail.com.
2. The company will never inform you to update your password because password renewal policy is not included in your Terms of Service (TOS).
3. They already have your personal iformation and there is no way they will want you to update them unless you have sent out so many spam and recieved complaint by others- in such cases they will not deal things easily but with a few phone call and verfication process.
4. If this e-mail would be true, they will provide you with full address along with active phone number (you can try out before doing anything).
5. If this information is official and true, they will post and announce on yahoo.com website or somewhere officially.
The list goes on and on...
However, by simply looking at the above facts, one can certainly say that it is (the attache email) is spam.
Wishing the best for the Zomi!
On 9/7/08, guite james <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
I got this the following e-mial, look like legitimate mial from yahoo customer service. If any boby got this kind of e-mial please let me know whether it's real or not. I really believe that it's one of the e-mial scam but not quite sure.
It's seem longtime a go I got this kind of e-mail, but I just ignored it then..nothing happen. In case if you got his kinds of e-mial and if u r not sure just ignore it. Better not to reply otherwise you might lose your identity.
James Thang Guite--- On Sat, 9/6/08, Yahoo! <email@example.com> wrote:
From: Yahoo! <firstname.lastname@example.org>Subject: Yahoo! Warning Update AccountTo: Date: Saturday, September 6, 2008, 9:23 PMDear Yahoo Mail User,
This Email from Yahoo Customer care Should be read carefuly,You most folow
the guide lines below for safty and security of your Yahoo Email Account. we are
having congestions due to the anonymous registration of yahoo accounts so we are
shutting down some yahoo accounts and your account was not active in our
database.If you are still operating this Account please confirm your account by
filling the space below. Your User name,password,date of birth and your country
information would be needed to verify your account.
Due to the congestion in all Yahoo users and removal of all unused Yahoo
Accounts, Yahoo would be shutting down all unused Accounts, You will have to
confirm your E-mail Immediately or your account will be suspended within 24
hours for security reasons.
* User name: .................................
* Password: ..................................
* Date of Birth: .............................
* Country Or Territory: ......................
* Enter Verification Number (F9HK11J).........
After following the instructions in the sheet, your account will not be
interrupted and will continue as normal. Thanks for your attention to this
request. We apologize for any inconveniences.
Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update account after two weeks of
receiving this warning Account will be closed permanently.
Yahoo! Account Service.